Commission Jurisdiction over Motor Carriers

The PUC regulates motor carriers that transport property, passengers or household goods as well as brokers of passenger transportation between points in Pennsylvania for compensation. Property carriers (e.g., trucking companies) and charter bus carriers (seating capacity of more than 15) are regulated for safety and insurance requirements only.

Effective Dec.15, 2004, motor carriers using five-axle tractor trailers to transport ashes, rubbish, excavate and road construction materials, must obtain a certificate of public convenience to transport these items in intrastate commerce. This is required by Act 201 of 2004, signed by Gov. Edward G. Rendell on Dec. 1, 2004. To obtain a certificate of public convenience, these companies must complete Form 189 - Application for Motor Common Carrier of Property, which is available under Online Forms.

Other passenger services and household goods carriers (moving companies) are regulated regarding rates, geographical area, customer service, safety and insurance. Currently, there are approximately 7,500 carriers and passenger brokers operating in Pennsylvania under the rules of and regulations of the PUC.

The application process for new motor carrier applicants has been streamlined. Please discard any old application forms and instructions and replace with the new forms and instructions that have a revised date of 9/11.  Please submit one (1) original of each filing to the attention of the Secretary's Bureau; DO NOT submit copies to the Compliance Section or the Bureau of Investigation & Enforcement.

As of April 10, 2005, taxicab and limousine service in Philadelphia falls under the jurisdiction of the Philadelphia Parking Authority. For more information, see our Philadelphia Taxicab and Limousine page.

Motor Carrier Suspension of Authority

Notice - Motor carriers requesting voluntary suspension of their authority. Released April 10, 2020.


Transportation Network Companies (TNCs)

On November 4, 2016, Governor Wolf signed into law Act 164 of 2016, which establishes the regulatory framework for the provisions of Transportation Network Company (TNC) service.  This transportation service operates using an internet application on smart phones to match passengers with a TNC driver to facilitate transportation.  Companies that are offering or planning to offer such services should file applications for TNC licenses.  Applications are available on this site at the Motor Carrier Online Forms.


Employer Identification Number (EIN)

Please note that certain changes in corporate structure or ownership require a new Employer Identification Number (EIN) number to be assigned to you by the Pennsylvania Department of State. When a new EIN number is assigned to you, the Commission is required to assign you a new utility code (“A” docket number). The law requires that when a new “A” docket number is assigned to you by the Commission, you must properly display the new “A” docket number on all fleet vehicles.

This means that certain changes in corporate structure or ownership requiring a new EIN number will result in the need for you to change the “A” docket number on all of your fleet vehicles as required by 52 Pa. Code § 29.71 (motor carriers of passengers) and § 31.33 (common carriers of property and household goods in use).