Limos, Taxis & Movers
Limousines operating within Pennsylvania must be licensed by the Public Utility Commission, maintain adequate insurance coverage and adhere to the Commissions vehicle safety regulations. Unlike taxicabs, limousines provide transportation by advance reservation within points in Pennsylvania.
By definition, limousines are luxury-type vehicles seating 10 passengers or less, excluding the driver. Limousines shall have at a minimum:
- Air conditioning
- AM/FM stereo radio
- Deluxe leather or fabric upholstery
- Deluxe wheels or wheel covers
- Four doors
- Wheelbase of at least 109 inches
Pursuant to commission order entered October 16, 1997, limousine companies may establish or change rates with one days notice to the Commission. Rates may be based on mileage or time, or both. Gratuities may be included in rates if included in the company's filed tariff; however, customers should be informed of any and all charges, including gratuities when quoted rates for service.
Before contracting with a limousine company, consumers should:
- Ensure the limousine company is licensed by the PUC. Ask the company to provide their PUC number (if not listed in the phone book or advertisement). To verify the validity of their license, call one of the PUC District Offices listed in the Staff Directory.
- Shop around for more than one price quote, since charges vary among companies.
- Retain all paperwork received from the company, such as service agreements and receipts for any fees paid.
Complaints regarding rates, service and/or safety may be directed to the District Office closest to the company's office location. (See Motor Carrier Complaints for more information.)
Limousine Service in Philadelphia
Effective April 10, 2005, Act 94 of 2004 transfers oversight of limousines providing service between points within Philadelphia, and service from an airport, railroad station or hotel located in Philadelphia, from the Public Utility Commission to the Philadelphia Parking Authority. Limousine carriers that hold operating authority from both the Public Utility Commission and the Philadelphia Parking Authority will be regulated by the PPA for transportation to and from Philadelphia. All other limousine transportation within Pennsylvania will be regulated by the Public Utility Commission.
The Philadelphia Parking Authority’s scope of limousine service also includes carriers providing limousine service, airport transfer service and group and party service as defined by the Public Utility Commission.
Questions and/or complaints about limousine service as regulated by the Philadelphia Parking Authority should be forwarded to 1-888-591-3636 or www.philapark.org.
Taxicabs operating within Pennsylvania are required to be licensed by the Public Utility Commission, maintain adequate insurance coverage, charge fees approved by the PUC and adhere to the commissions driver and vehicle safety regulations. Taxi companies must also comply with certain standards regarding service set by the commission such as:
- Providing service upon demand, regardless of the distance of the trip.
- Taking the shortest route to the requested destination.
- Charging a fare based on an approved flat rate, odometer mileage, a meter reading or in accordance with zones.
- Posting rates inside vehicle.
- Providing a receipt upon request.
- Ensuring passenger area and trunk are clean and sanitary.
- Ensuring vehicle meets all Pennsylvania equipment and inspection standards.
- Marking vehicle with the name of the company, the PUC number (PUC A-#), and a vehicle number.
- Ensuring meter is sealed.
Public Utility Commission Enforcement Officers conduct taxicab inspections throughout the year to ensure taxicabs are safe and clean, drivers are properly licensed, and companies are providing reasonable service. Insurance coverage is also monitored to ensure it remains in effect. A taxicab company failing to meet the commissions driver, vehicle and service standards may be subject to fines and/or loss of its operating license.
To file a complaint, complete the online Taxi Complaint Form.
Philadelphia Taxis & Limos
Learn more about the Philadelphia Parking Authority oversight of taxicabs and limousine services in the city of Philadelphia.Get Details
Transportation Network Companies
Transportation Network Companies (TNCs), such as Uber, Lyft and Z Trip, have a license to operate issued by the PUC and have insurance on file with the PUC Insurance Section.
TNC regulations can be found in Title 66 - PUBLIC UTILITIES; Chapter 26 Transportation Network Service. Chapter 26 was added November 4, 2016, P.L.1222, No.164, effective immediately.
If you have a complaint or question about a TNC, you can contact the nearest PUC Motor Carrier Enforcement Office:
- PUC Enforcement Pittsburgh & Altoona District Office - Phone: 412-423-9310
- PUC Enforcement Philadelphia District Office - Phone: 215-965-3721
- PUC Enforcement Harrisburg District Office - Phone: 717-787-7598
- PUC Enforcement Scranton District Office - Phone: 570-963-4590
Household Goods Movers
Household goods movers operating within Pennsylvania are required to be licensed by the Public Utility Commission and must maintain adequate levels of insurance coverage and charge fees approved by the PUC.
Moving Company Brochure - Guidelines for consumers to follow when hiring a moving company.
Before hiring a moving company, consumers should consider the following standards:
- Mover must provide a written estimate.
- Estimate is based on applicable tariff charges (hourly rate if distance is 40 miles or less) or on a weight and mileage basis (if distance is over 40 miles).
- If the actual bill exceeds the estimate by more than 10% you must pay the estimated charges plus 10% of the estimate or $25 (whichever is greater). You have up to 15 days after delivery to pay the balance.
- Loss or damages automatic protection is insured up to 60 per pound per article. (If additional protection is desired, consumer must purchase it through the moving company or private insurer.)
- Ensure the company is licensed by the PUC. All movers operating within Pennsylvania must display their PUC number in advertisements (such as phone books).
- Ensure you receive an Information for Shippers form prior to signing any agreements.
- Shop around for more than one estimate since tariff charges do vary among companies.
At the conclusion of a move, check delivered items for missing or damaged goods prior to signing the delivery receipt. Note any problems (service or damages) on the delivery sheet and do not sign until all items have been moved. Keep all paperwork given to you by the moving company.
If you wish to file a complaint, please contact the District Office nearest you, in writing, with the following information:
- Name of company and anyone you dealt with.
- Date(s) of move.
- Amount of estimate and actual amount charged.
- Nature of complaint.*
Please note: The commission cannot order reimbursement for damaged household goods or investigate a complaint involving goods moved out of Pennsylvania or placed in storage for more than 90 days. However, during an investigation, violations of PUC regulations may be discovered.
Household Goods Operators List
This is a list of active Household Goods Carriers certificated by the Public Utility Commission to perform household goods moves in specific areas between points in Pennsylvania. Please contact the carrier for specific rates and approved territories.
|Utility Code||Utility / Company Info|
ARMSTRONG RELOCATION COMPANY PENNSYLVANIA LLC
1074 E MAIN ST
MOUNT JOY, PA, 17552
|JACK TREIER MOVING & STORAGE|
FRIENDLY MOVERS LLC
235 KAUFMAN ROAD
GIBSONIA, PA, 15044
JAMES E FRETZ & SONS LLC
821 MCCLINTOCK AVENUE
BELLE VERNON, PA, 15012
|James E Fretz Transfer|
RYAN MOVING LLC
501 STATE ROUTE 130
TRAFFORD , PA, 15085
KEITH M CHITWOOD
606 JAMES STREET
TURTLE CREEK, PA, 15145
|MIKE MOVES PITTSBURGH|
SSMT PHL LLC
2109 BELLEMEAD AVE
HAVERTOWN, PA, 19083
MAKE MOVES LLC
525 E MAIN ST
CARNEGIE, PA, 15106
OLYMPIA MOVING & STORAGE LLC
17 BRIDGE STREET
WATERTOWN, MA, 02472
|OLYMPIA MOVING & STORAGE|
210 DIVISION ST
KINGSTON, PA, 18704
THE MOVE SMITH LLC
1008 GREENHILL ROAD
WEST CHESTER, PA, 19380
BLL CHARLES INC
1101 WILLIAM FLYNN HWY #5
GLENSHAW, PA, 15116
|BLL CHARLES INC DBA COLLEGE HUNKS HAULING jUNK & MOVING|
ARMSTRONG RELOCATION COMPANY LLC
20 EAST COMMONS BOULEVARD
NEW CASTLE, DE, 19720
BLUE COLLAR MOVERS LLC
40 WEST 1ST STREET
WIND GAP, PA, 18064
|YOU MOVE ME|
MOUNTAIN MOVERS LLC
448 IMPERIAL DRIVE
MOHNTON, PA, 19540
PACKER UP MOVING LLC
110 LESLIE CIRCLE
BELLEFONTE, PA, 16823
MOVERSFOR.ME PA LLC
1234 SUMMIT WAY
MECHANICSBURG, PA, 17050
KEYSTONE MOVING & JUNK REMOVAL LLC
20 COUNTRYSIDE DRIVE
CARLISLE, PA, 17013
VIRTUALLY YOU LLC
81 NORTH WALNUT STREET
SHARPSVILLE, PA, 16150
|VIROSTICK MOVING & STORAGE|
SUPER MOVER BROS LLC
106 MARSHALL DRIVE
RENFREW, PA, 16053
RELIABLE MOVING AND REMOVAL LLC
321 NORTH 7TH AVENUE
LEBANON , PA, 17046
MOVING FORWARD LLC
2510 ELKRIDGE DRIVE
WEXFORD, PA, 15090
ANTHONY R GULOTTA
2711 EGYPT ROAD
NORRISTOWN, PA, 19403
|GULOTTA MOVING AND HAULING COMPANY|
FAIRPRICE MOVERS INC
202 INDEPENDENCE COURT
BLANDON, PA, 19510
2224 APPLE WAY
BENSALEM, PA, 19020
DELICATO TRANSPORT LLC
51 US HIGHWAY 206 SUITE 107
AUGUSTA, NJ, 07822
Showing results 201 - 225 of 266
- Motor Carrier
Learn how to submit a complaint with a public utility. You can also search existing formal complaints.Get Details
Need More Help?
If you can't find what you're looking for here, please contact the PA Public Utility Commission. Call us at 1-800-692-7380 or contact us online.
Public utility documents available electronically include case dockets, public meeting orders and more.
Filing & Resources
Find utility-related reports, laws and regulations, federal filings, tariffs, procedures and more.
Consumers, utilities and attorneys can save time by submitting documents to the PUC electronically.