Small Natural Gas Companies Task Force
Small natural gas utilities are defined by the Public Utility Code as having annual intrastate operating revenues under $40 million. The PUC currently has 20 small natural gas utilities under its jurisdiction.
Because of operational and staff limitations at many of these companies, the Commission has recognized the need for additional guidance on Public Utility Code procedures. The topics listed below are designed to help small natural gas utilities gain some understanding of the processes involved for establishing base rates; filing tariffs, annual reports and affiliated interest agreements; and terminating delinquent accounts.
Final Rulemaking Order - Final Rulemaking for Revision of 52 Pa. Code, Chapter 53 §§ 53.61-53.68, pertaining to the Recovery of Fuel Costs by Gas Utilities. Docket No. L-2013-2346923. Public Meeting of May 7, 2015.
Motion - Motion by Vice Chairman Coleman regarding the Final Rulemaking for the Revision of 52 Pa. Code, Chapter 53 pertaining to the recovery of fuel costs by gas utilities. Public Meeting of May 7, 2015. Docket No. L-2013-2346923.
Glossary of Terms
Glossary - A guide to terms used in working with the PUC.
Final Report - The Operational and Financial Viability of Pennsylvania’s Group II Natural Gas Distribution Companies. Released June 2010.
Rates and Tariffs
Base rates v. Gas Cost Rates (GCR) - Base rates allow the utility to recover its reasonably incurred gas distribution expenses and a fair return on its investment, while the GCR allows the utility to recover a portion of the cost of its purchased gas cost rate.
- Background - Information on base rates and fuel expenses.
- Fact Sheet - Traditional base rate case filing information.
- GCR Filing Template - Spreadsheet file that can be used to prepare a GCR filing. Revised August 6, 2018.
Short Form Base Rate Request - A streamlined gas distribution base rate case process may be used by small gas utilities in order to request additional revenues.
Tariffs - Every company must have a valid tariff on file with the PUC.
Affiliated Interest Agreements
Commission-approved agreements between a regulated utility and another corporate entity with shared ownership or management with the utility.
- Key Items for Affiliated Interest Agreements
- PA Code Cites - (66 Pa.C.S.A.)
- Sample Affiliated Interest Agreement
Termination Requirements, Procedures and Notices
Summary of requirements that must be met to terminate customers, procedures to be followed, and sample customer notices.
- PUC Letter to Utilities - Dated Oct. 8, 2009.
- Sample Letter to Companies - Generic template.
- Weatherization Information - Link to information from the the New PA website.
- Annual Report Link to the annual report required to be filed by small natural gas companies.
- PUC Contacts (Word) List of PUC staff that can serve as a resource for small natural gas companies.
- Damage Prevention Committee
- Act 13 Impact Fee
- Voluntary Natural Gas EE&C Programs
- Combined Heat & Power
- Natural Gas Companies & Suppliers
- Committees & Working Groups
- Alternative Fuel Vehicles
- Energy Efficiency, Conservation and Savings Information
- Retail Markets
- Pipeline Safety
- Prepare Now for Winter Energy Costs
Learn how to submit a complaint with a public utility. You can also search existing formal complaints.Get Details
811: PA One Call
Homeowners and contractors must call 8-1-1 before starting any digging or excavation project.Get Details
Need More Help?
Public utility documents available electronically include case dockets, public meeting orders and more.
Filing & Resources
Find utility-related reports, laws and regulations, federal filings, tariffs, procedures and more.
Consumers, utilities and attorneys can save time by submitting documents to the PUC electronically.