Skip to content

Rail Safety Applications & Petitions

When filing an application with the Commission, please mail the original copy with attachments and exhibits to:

The Secretary of the Commission
Pennsylvania Public Utility Commission
400 North Street
Harrisburg , PA 17120

The Commission does not charge a filing fee for applications involving highway railroad crossings. 

The applicant is required to serve a copy of the application (including exhibits if applicable) on all interested parties. Interested parties include the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (ROW & Utility Division, Bureau of Design-Project Delivery - PennDOT, P.O. Box 3362 , Harrisburg , PA 17105-3362 and Office of Chief Counsel - PennDOT, P.O. 8212, Harrisburg , PA 17105-8212 ), the applicable PennDOT District Office, the railroad company, the county and municipality where the crossing is located, and any fixed utility companies with facilities at the crossing. When drawings/plans are submitted as an exhibit with the Application, please submit the drawings/plans on paper no larger than 11 X 17 inches.

The application should have a certificate of service attached to it indicating what parties have been served with the application. The applicant should also include the name of a contact person with a telephone number in its correspondence. 

Application Forms

  • Application Form G
    For the construction of, alteration, abolition, relocation, or suspension of a public crossing.
  • Application Form E
    For the installation, removal or substitution of warning devices at a public crossing.
  • Application Form P
    For the installation of traffic signals with preemption on the approach to a public crossing.
  • Application Form X
    For approval of an exemption from the Commission's railroad clearance requirements.
  • Application Form W
    For the installation of fixed utility company's facilities (wire & pipe) within a public crossing.


If you are dissatisfied with the resolution of this matter, you may, as set forth in 52 Pa. Code §§ 1.31 and 5.44, file a Petition for Reconsideration from Staff Action (Petition) with the Commission within twenty (20) days of the date of this letter. The Petition shall be sent to: Secretary, PA Public Utility Commission, 400 North Street, Harrisburg, PA 17120, and must be filed within twenty (20) days, or if no timely request is made, the action will be deemed to be a final action of the Commission.

The Petition MUST include:

  1. A written statement (divided into numbered paragraphs) outlining the reasons for the request;
  2. The case docket number;
  3. The party on whose behalf the petition is made (corporation, railroad, or municipality);
  4. A Certificate of Service on the other parties of record in accordance with 52 Pa. Code § 1.54; and
  5. A Verification with original signature in accordance with 52 Pa. Code § 1.36. 

Need More Help?

If you can't find what you're looking for here, please contact the PA Public Utility Commission. Call us at 1-800-692-7380 or contact us online.

Document Search

Public utility documents available electronically include case dockets, public meeting orders and more.

Filing & Resources

Find utility-related reports, laws and regulations, federal filings, tariffs, procedures and more.


Consumers, utilities and attorneys can save time by submitting documents to the PUC electronically.