Skip to content

Blocked Railroad Crossings

The Public Utility Commission has no authority over blocked highway-railroad crossings.  Within Pennsylvania the PA Motor Vehicle Code, Title 75 §3713, addresses a railroad’s operations when traversing over a highway-railroad crossing. These regulations may be enforced by state and local law enforcement entities. Currently there are no federal laws or regulations pertaining to blocked crossings.

How to Report a Blocked Public Crossing

The Federal Railroad Administration (FRA) has an online reporting form designed to collect data on this nationwide issue. 

If you would like to directly contact the FRA regarding a blocked crossing issue please visit the FRA website for more information.

Need More Help?

If you can't find what you're looking for here, please contact the PA Public Utility Commission. Call us at 1-800-692-7380 or contact us online.

Document Search

Public utility documents available electronically include case dockets, public meeting orders and more.

Filing & Resources

Find utility-related reports, laws and regulations, federal filings, tariffs, procedures and more.


Consumers, utilities and attorneys can save time by submitting documents to the PUC electronically.