Skip to content

Accident Reporting

Title 52 of the Pennsylvania Code, Sections 33.11-33.14, requires all railroads to submit a report of each reportable accident (§33.12) involving its facilities or operations in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania to the Public Utility Commission.

The report shall be addressed to:

Rail Safety Section of the Bureau of Technical Utility Services
Pennsylvania Public Utility Commission
400 North Street
Harrisburg, PA 17120

A preliminary report (§33.13) shall be made immediately by telephone. Please call 717-787-9732 between the hours of 7:30 AM and 4:00 PM, Monday through Friday. If the office is closed, call the same number and leave a message with the following information:

  • Name of caller and telephone number.
  • Date and time reported.
  • Date and time of accident.
  • Railroad involved and location.
  • Type of accident (Derailment or rail-highway accident).
  • Involvement of hazardous material.
  • Fatalities or injuries.

A written report (§33.14) shall follow the preliminary report and be filed with the Commission on or before the 30th day of each month.

Nontrain Accidents

Some nontrain accidents must be reported to the Federal Railroad Administration (FRA).

Reports of accidents to employees, passengers, trespassers, and other nontrain accidents to employees, passengers, and travelers not on trains shall be reported on the United States Department of Transportation Form FRA F 6180-55(55A) instead of Form UCTA-2.

Reportable accidents involving railroad property (derailments) exceeding the FRA minimum amount ($) shall also be reported on Form FRA F 6180-54.

Railroad-highway crossing at grade accidents shall be reported on Form FRA F 6180-57 instead of Form UCTA-7.

Nontrain accidents involving highway vehicles running into and damaging crossing gates and flashing light signals shall be reported on Form UCTA-31.


PUC Forms

Federal Railroad Administration Forms

Reporting Forms and Instructions

Inventory and Accident Files from the FRA's Office of Safety Analysis

Highway-Rail Crossing Inventory and Accident Information


Need More Help?

If you can't find what you're looking for here, please contact the PA Public Utility Commission. Call us at 1-800-692-7380 or contact us online.

Document Search

Public utility documents available electronically include case dockets, public meeting orders and more.

Filing & Resources

Find utility-related reports, laws and regulations, federal filings, tariffs, procedures and more.


Consumers, utilities and attorneys can save time by submitting documents to the PUC electronically.