Skip to content

Water / Wastewater


Consumers, such as home owners and business owners, can find helpful information on water and wastewater savings and conservation.

Consumer Tips

Take time to learn about water conservation with these brochures and fact sheets.

Water Utilities

Learn which water utility companies are regulated by the PUC.

Wastewater Utilities

Learn which wastewater utility companies are regulated by the PUC.

Consumer Education

Learn about resources available to consumers, like community education events and tips on conserving water and money.

Utility Assistance

Do you need financial assistance for utility services? Find out what programs are available.

Utility Professionals

Utility professionals, including utility employees and attorneys, can review important information on water and wastewater issues and policies.

Laws and Regulations

Many important laws affect how water and wastewater companies are regulated throughout the state.


Links to utility provider websites to view details on current rates and tariffs.


Read annual reports, as well as reports on water and wastewater consumer activities and quarterly earnings.

LIHWAP Information

Secretarial Letter encouraging Water and Wastewater providers to participate in LIHWAP.

Commissioner Letter to Support LIHWAP

Commissioner letter of Dec. 21, 2023, urging Pennsylvania Congressional Delegation to support funding for LIHWAP.

Not Regulated by the PUC

In the case of utilities owned and operated by municipalities (city, borough or township), the PUC does not have jurisdiction unless a municipality is serving customers who reside outside of its corporate boundaries. The Commission maintains jurisdiction over the rates and service to these outside customers.

If a municipality was charging a bulk rate to another municipality outside its corporate boundaries, and the other municipality in turn was reselling the water to its customers, the Commission would not regulate either municipality.

The Commission, generally, does not regulate municipal authorities. However, should an authority lease the operating system back to the municipality and municipal officials control the development of rates and operation, the Commission has jurisdiction over the rates and service for customers located outside of the municipality corporate boundaries.

For the most part, the Commission does not regulate mobile home park systems unless it serves customers outside the mobile home park. Fees for service are usually collected within lot rentals.

The Commission does not regulate any bona fide cooperative association that furnishes service exclusively to its stockholders or members on a not-for-profit basis.


Learn how to submit a complaint with a public utility. You can also search existing formal complaints.

Get Details

811: PA One Call

Homeowners and contractors must call 8-1-1 before starting any digging or excavation project.

Get Details

Need More Help?

If you can't find what you're looking for here, please contact the PA Public Utility Commission. Call us at 1-800-692-7380 or contact us online.

Document Search

Public utility documents available electronically include case dockets, public meeting orders and more.

Filing & Resources

Find utility-related reports, laws and regulations, federal filings, tariffs, procedures and more.


Consumers, utilities and attorneys can save time by submitting documents to the PUC electronically.