Skip to content

Rail Crossing Complaints

Formal Complaints

When filing a formal complaint alleging that a dangerous or inadequate condition exist at a public crossing, public utilities and municipal corporations concerned and , if applicable, the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation will be made parties respondent.

Please mail your complaint to:

Secretary of the Commission
Pennsylvania Public Utility Commission
400 North Street
Harrisburg , PA 17120

Informal Complaints

If you desire to informally notify the Rail Safety Section of an unsafe condition at a highway-railroad crossing, please provide the following information to Rodney D. Bender, P.E. Manager:

  • AAR/USDOT Crossing Identification Number
  • Location (County and Municipality)
  • Highway Name
  • State Route Number or Township Road Number
  • Railroad Company

If you desire to informally notify the Rail Safety Section of an unsafe condition with respect to track, motive power & equipment, hazardous material and operating practices, please provide the following information to  Rodney D. Bender, Manager:

  • Location (County and Municipality)
  • Railroad Company
  • Railroad Milepost

Need More Help?

If you can't find what you're looking for here, please contact the PA Public Utility Commission. Call us at 1-800-692-7380 or contact us online.

Document Search

Public utility documents available electronically include case dockets, public meeting orders and more.

Filing & Resources

Find utility-related reports, laws and regulations, federal filings, tariffs, procedures and more.


Consumers, utilities and attorneys can save time by submitting documents to the PUC electronically.