Skip to content

Existing Case - Add Supporting Documentation

If you have an open informal case, you may provide additional documentation to support your claim. Enter your BCS Case Number and upload your documentation file. Please note that if your case is already closed, your documentation may not be accepted.

You can upload the following file types to include with your existing informal case.

  • Images - .png, .jpeg, .jpg, .gif
  • Documents - .pdf, .xls, .xlsx, .doc, .docx

To add notes or comments, or to give us an update in your own words:

  • Handwrite a note, scan it or take a picture with your phone and attach it as a document; or
  • Type your note and attach it as a document.

Make sure you use one of the document types listed above and note your case number on each page or as part of the document file name.

Required Fields

Informal Complaint Documentation Form

Need More Help?

If you can't find what you're looking for here, please contact the PA Public Utility Commission. Call us at 1-800-692-7380 or contact us online.

Document Search

Public utility documents available electronically include case dockets, public meeting orders and more.

Filing & Resources

Find utility-related reports, laws and regulations, federal filings, tariffs, procedures and more.


Consumers, utilities and attorneys can save time by submitting documents to the PUC electronically.