The Commission Railroad Regulations can be found in The Pennsylvania Code, Title 52 Chapter 33, railroad Transportation.
The Commission has exclusive jurisdiction over the construction, relocation, suspension and abolition of public highway-railroad crossings. (66 C.S. §§2702-04).
- A public highway-railroad crossing can be either at grade, above or below the grade of the tracks of a railroad company.
- The Commission may order immediate alteration, improvement or suspension to provide for public safety.
- The appropriation of property for any crossing improvement is exclusively within the Commission’s authority.
- Cost associated with the construction, relocation, alteration or abolition of a crossing may be allocated among the parties as determined by the Commission.
Pursuant to an agreement under the provision of the Federal Railroad Safety Act of 1970, 45 U.S.C. §§421, the Rail Safety Division enforces regulations promulgated by the Federal Railroad Administration. 49 C.F.R.
ack Safety Standards (Part 213)
Bridge Worker Safety Standards (Part 214)
Roadway Worker Protection Standards (Part 214)
Freight Car Safety Standards (Part 215)
Camp Car Inspections (Part 228)
Locomotive Safety Provisions (Part 229)
Safety Appliance standards (Part 231)
Power brakes and drawbars (Part 232)
Operating Rules (Part 217)
Blue Signal Rules (Part 218)
Protection for Utility Engineers (Part 218)
Alcohol and Drug (Part 219)
Radio Communications (Part 220)
Rear End Marking Device (Part 221)
Safety Glazing (Part 223)
Hours of Service (Part 228)
Filing & Resources
- Federal Filings
- File or Obtain Information
- Related Links & Resources
Issues, Laws & Regulations
- Electronic Data Exchange
- Section 1329 Applications
- AEPS Act
- Act 13 Impact Fee
- Act 127 (Pipeline Act)
- Port Authority Act 61
- Right to Know Policies and Procedures
- Act 120 of 2018 Working Group
- Electricity Issues
- Telecommunications Issues
- Rail Issues
- Motor Carrier Issues
- Pipeline Issues
- Water/Wastewater Issues
- Natural Gas Issues
- Verizon PA and Verizon North Joint Petition for Reclassification
- Global Telephone Order
- En Banc Hearings on Wholesale Energy Markets
- En Banc Hearing on Implementation of Supplier Consolidated Billing
- Electric Retail Markets
- Electric Competition Law
- EDC Service Outage Response Reports
- Demand Side Response
- Chapter 56 Notice of Proposed Rulemaking
- Chapter 27 Railroad
- American Recovery & Reinvestment Act
- Alternative Ratemaking Methodologies
- Advanced Metering
- Act 129
- Provider of Last Resort
- Triennial Review Order
- System Improvement Charges Act 11 of 2012
- Rules Governing Termination, Reconnections, Payments, Cash Deposits
- Regulatory Information
- Railroad Regulations
- Policies to Mitigate Potential Electricity Price Increases
- Natural Gas Competition
- Court Decision Summaries
Need More Help?
Public utility documents available electronically include case dockets, public meeting orders and more.
Filing & Resources
Find utility-related reports, laws and regulations, federal filings, tariffs, procedures and more.
Consumers, utilities and attorneys can save time by submitting documents to the PUC electronically.